Dental crowns are usually made from porcelain or ceramic, and they are designed to match the color of your natural teeth. In most cases, dental crowns are placed on teeth that are visible when you smile, such as your front teeth. Before we answer the question, “how long does a dental crown last”, we have to address the various materials that they are made from. Dental crowns typically last between five and twenty years, though they may need to be replaced sooner if they become loose or damaged.
What is a dental crown?
Dental crowns are dental prosthetics that are used to cap or cover a tooth. A crown can be used for a number of reasons, including to:
- Improve the appearance of a tooth
- Restore a tooth that has been damaged
- Protect a tooth from further damage
What are dental crowns made out of?
The material a crown is made from can determine how long it will last. Some of the different materials that dental crowns are made from include:
- Gold: Longest lasting dental crown material, but can cost up to $2500 per tooth. They can last anywhere from 20-40 years.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM): These crowns offer a natural look, as the porcelain can be matched to the color of your teeth. They tend to last between 5-15 years.
- Ceramic: This has a natural look similar to PFM crowns, and they have a similar lifespan of 5-15 years.
- Resin: The least expensive crown material, but it is also the least durable lasting about 5-10 years.
- Zirconia: A strong and durable crown material that can last up to 20 years in many instances.
Reasons why a dental crown may not last as long
Even with proper care, there are a number of reasons why your dental crown may not last as long as you would like. Some reasons why a dental crown may need to be replaced sooner than anticipated include:
- Grinding or clench your teeth (bruxism)
- Eating hard foods
- Failure to practice proper dental hygiene
- Badly placed dental crown
Additionally, crowns on the front teeth generally last longer than crowns in the back. The reason for this is that your front teeth do not endure the same amount of pressure as your back teeth when you bite and chew.
Caring for your dental crown
One of the best ways to care for your dental crown and ensure that it lasts as long as possible is to practice good dental hygiene. This means brushing at least twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings.
Additionally, you should avoid eating hard foods, chewing on ice, grinding your teeth, or clenching your jaws.
By following these tips and practicing good dental hygiene, you can help ensure that your dental crown lasts for many years to come.
Hopefully this article has helped answer the question, “how long does a dental crown last?” Dental crowns are a great way to improve the appearance of your smile and protect your teeth from further damage. With proper care, dental crowns can last for many years.